OSHA 500 Course Description
OSHA 500 - Trainer Course in OSHA Standards for Construction
This trainer course is designed for personnel interested in teaching the OSHA 10- or 30-Hour Construction Outreach courses. Special emphasis is placed on required topics in the OSHA Outreach Program. Various instructional approaches and the effective use of visual aids and handouts will also be covered. Course participants will work in groups or independently to practice their presentation of selected topics.
A written examination is given at the conclusion of the course. Successful completion of the course and the final examination allows the participant to be recognized as an OSHA Authorized Outreach Trainer for the Construction Industry.
This course is provided by the Mid-South OTI Education Center. Minimum Contact Hours:
Construction industry outreach trainers must take OSHA 502 every four years to maintain their status as an outreach trainer.
- Define construction terms found in the OSHA standards
- Present effective safety and health training programs in accordance with OSHA's construction standards, regulations, and guidelines
- Identify hazards that occur in the construction industry and determine appropriate standards
- Prepare reports citing conditions found
- Identify methods to correct hazards
- Introduction to OSHA standards
- Safety programs
- OSHA inspections, targeting, and penalties
- Training techniques
- Hazard communication
- Health hazards in construction and personal protective equipment
- Walking and working surfaces
- Overview of the outreach training program
- Cranes and rigging
- Ladders and stairways
- Confined space entry
- Health hazards in construction
- Personal protective equipment
- Concrete construction
- Steel erection
- OSHA recordkeeping
Five years relevant experience in the construction safety and health field AND
Completion of the OSHA 510 to confirm enrollment in this class. You must complete the Prerequisite Verification Form prior to registering for this course.
29 CFR 1926 Construction Safety Standard provided by Mid-South OTI Education Center. Minimum Contact Hours: 26 hours
Due to course content we highly recommend bringing a laptop.